Friday, April 14, 2017

A Trip Unlike Any Other

Welcome to The Masters!

Mark Knowles, myself, Pete Trudeau, and John Freitas at the Main scoreboard on Tuesday April 4th, 2017

 I never thought those four words could sound so good, but they are even better than you expect.  My first memory of The Masters was Jose Maria Olazabal winning in 1994.  I don't specifically remember any shots of that golf tournament, but I do remember him putting on a green jacket.  I was 12 years old and new to the game of golf.  Little did I know from that memory of my childhood my life would be centered around golf and 23 years later I'd be writing a blog about my first experience at The Masters.  (No one in 1994 had ever heard of a blog)  I'm blessed by all of the things golf and the people associated with this game have taught me, both on and off the course, over that time.

Seeing Augusta National Golf Club for the first time was simply breathtaking, its better in person than I thought it ever could be.  Augusta National on TV is like watching the movie, seeing it in person is like reading the book.  We covered nearly 10 miles our first day, I can't remember enjoying 10 miles without swinging a golf club more than that first day.  If you make your first trip to The Masters, take in a practice day so you can focus on the golf course.


John Freitas and I at 16

I returned to work on Friday with more questions than I had answers to the wonder that is Augusta National Golf Club.  I was asked by a member mid-day Friday, "what did you learn at Augusta?" 
As my fiancée, Danica, will attest too, turf consumes much of my day and I think about it while watching TV.  That evening was no different, I was constantly trying to answer the question:

                                 'What did I learn at Augusta?' 

1. Its humbly perfect.  Everything is magnificent - not opulent or gaudy. 

It has a perfect feel of Southern Charm.  From entry to exit all of the amenities suit the property perfectly.  The volunteers at The Masters also deserve an acknowledgement, they make it that much better with their great attitude and Southern hospitality.

2. The layout is so different than I thought.
The 9th Tee - he piped this one

This is Hideki Matsuyama hitting driving on the 9th Tee.  In the left edge of the photos you can catch a glimpse of the 1st green surround.  Two tee is 20 yards behind me.  I've seen aerials and watched countless rounds on television on the years, but how it all fits together is so much different than I had envisioned.  My favorite part of the layout is Amen corner.  You have to go find amen corner, you can't stumble across it.  Its hidden in the corner of the property, as with everything else, its better than you thought when you see it in person.
11 Green  with 12 Green waiting in the background
 
3. Everything you use except for the golf course is just for that week.

The parking lot.  The entrance.  The concession stands.  The bathrooms.  The golf shop.  Its all permanent and just for that week. You've never seen so much staff working a concession stand each one telling you, "Welcome to The Masters" or "Y'all have a great day!"  They seem to have thought of everything to make your experience as enjoyable as possible.

4. Augusta National Golf Club is what it is and everything they do is to be themselves.  That should be a lesson to every golf course.  Be yourself, that's sustainability.

This is the one that will stick with me for the remainder of my career.  People question whether Augusta National is good for golf?  I have often wondered myself if that level of manicuring or perfection is good for the game.  I now know for certain it is good for the game because they are being themselves.  It helps that they can afford to do things other properties can not, but they could also afford to build more opulent structures and automated concession stands.  Instead they choose to build and do things that fit their personality and be great at those things.
Sustainability is a term used in golf, attempting to latch on to our changing landscape of environmental awareness and all the other challenges golf will face in the coming generations. 

I hope Augusta National never changes, it is a beacon for golf courses across the world to be yourself and from that you find sustainability.  The goal at Aldarra Golf Club is to provide the best conditions possible each day.  My crew understands this and they work to achieve this goal.  This goal is only possible if we focus on ourselves and do it our way.  Surely we can learn from other courses and use ideas to make us more efficient, but we have to do it our way with our own identify to achieve our goals.

If you've never been to Augusta in April, take a few friends, leave your phone in the car and soak it all in, it won't disappoint.







 























No comments:

Post a Comment